Chem-Trend showcases a preform coating system (PCS) for improved handling of PET preforms
- Accurate spraying immediately after the injection-moulding process for maximum safety and efficiency
- Developed by Bonino Group in collaboration with Chem-Trend and Steidle
- PCS guarantees a uniform and safe coating with Lusin® Lub O 32 F manufactured by Chem-Trend
Chem-Trend, a global leader in the development, manufacturing, and marketing of high-performance release agents, purging compounds, and other ancillary molding products, participated in the development of a new preform coating system (PCS). This system enables preforms to be accurately sprayed directly after the injection-moulding process. The solution was developed by Bonino Group in collaboration with Chem-Trend and Steidle.
“Preform Coating System (PCS) by Bonino reliably reduces scratches on PET preforms with precision spraying of Lusin® Lub O 32 F. It also increases the number of preforms that can be stored in an Octabin container, which reduces shipping and warehousing cost of preforms. Together with our partners, we are now able to present a revolutionary system that will allow converters to coat preforms in a safe way”, says Graziano Pestarino, Global Account Manager Thermoplastics Packaging at Chem-Trend.
The system is installed directly after the injection-moulding machine and before the soft-drop or Octabin. It is designed to spray only the body of the preforms with extreme precision without applying any coating agent on the thread of the preforms. A specially designed “Safeguard” system installed around the neck area of the PET preforms prevents the coating agent from entering the preforms. The application method allows Lusin® Lub O 32 F to coat preforms on the full body which results in a drastic reduction of scratches during the filling and unloading of the Octabins.
The Bonino Group, Steidle and Chem-Trend cooperation
This revolutionary preform coating system solution was developed through a strong collaborative process between Bonino Group, a manufacturer of orientation and sorting systems based in Italy; Steidle, specialists for micro spraying lubrication systems from Leverkusen, Germany; and Chem-Trend. The system aims to improve the way PET preforms are coated by providing an efficient and secure process insuring that the coating agent will not enter the preforms. The resulting safety, economic and operative benefits give PET preform manufacturers and their customers substantial competitive advantages.
Bonino Group was able to engineer a portable unit that can be easily integrated into production lines. Using Bonino’s technology, preforms are diverted into the PCS system after production, where they are then properly oriented and individually coated. The unit can be adjusted to accommodate virtually all preform designs and sizes in just a few minutes, making it extremely flexible. The seamlessly integrated PIC (process integrated coating) system developed by Steidle can accurately dose micro quantities of Lusin® Lub O 32 F and ensure that the entire body of each preform is uniformly coated.
The preform coating system was developed for use with Lusin® Lub O 32 F made by Chem-Trend. This food contact compliant coating agent is a hybrid product that combines the effects of a lubricant and release agent. As one of the world’s most innovative and efficient lubricants and release agents for the packaging industry, it ensures uniform coating of all PET preforms.
The system provides the following benefits to manufacturers of PET preforms and end customers:
- A food contact compliant coating delivered by the integrated PCS safeguard that prevents Lusin® Lub O 32 F from entering the body of PET preforms.
- Low dosing rate of Lusin® Lub O 32 F on PET preforms thanks to the improved efficiency of the coating process.
- Reduces the number of scratched or scuffed PET preforms: as a result of the more uniform coating, there are also fewer customer complaints.
- Maximizes the quantity of preforms per Octabin thus reducing shipping and warehousing cost. 10-15 per cent more PET preforms to be packed inside the Octabin on average.
- Improves bottle demolding and bottle definition during the blow molding process while not affecting the working life of heating lamps.
- Eliminates bottle jamming in conveying lines.
- Improves labelling and palletizing of bottles.