What factors need to be considered in selecting a mold release agent?
Factors to be considered for selecting the proper release agent include:
- Mold material / substrate
- Material being molded
- Process conditions:
- Line speed / cycle time
- Specific molding process such as injection molding, high pressure, gravity fill, compression, etc.
- Process variable fluctuations
- Geometry of the mold
- Post molding operations (adhesion, coating)
- Expected performance level and productivity (number of good releases or good parts demolded per time period)
- Existing process issues (cavity filling challenges, soldering, release-related scrap rates, process condition fluctuations etc.)
- Mold maintenance expectations (mold cleaning frequency)
- Part finish requirements (gloss, marring, etc.)
- Application methodology
- Health Safety and Environmental (HSE) requirements